I’m two weeks into summer and already exhausted all of Netflix’s documentaries, so I came up with this list of things I want to do (or have done in previous summers) to actually be productive this summer instead of watching SVU all day!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure by clicking here.
1. Amp up your photography skills – whether it’s playing around with your iPhone or learning more about your DSLR, there are so many beautiful things to photograph during the summer! I’ll be posting what I come up with on Instagram and VSCO.
Related: Finding Your Instagram Style
2. Morning yoga or stretching – just a few minutes of mindful stretching can wake you up and get you focused for the day! I’ve been following some of Yoga with Adriene’s videos for a while, but I recently started using stretch guides from Elle Fit Active, which are perfect if you don’t want to pay for yoga class! I have the Get Bendy and Get Split, and when you get the combo pack (about $23 once it’s converted to USD), they basically cost the same as two yoga classes but you only have to buy them once!
Bonus: You can use the discount code JESSICA10 for 10% off all of the stretching guides and bundles!
3. Drink lots of water! – besides the fact that you should be drinking lots of water everyday anyway, you should definitely be drinking a lot during the summer heat! Make a habit of carrying a water bottle (I’ve been using a Swell Bottle) everywhere you go.
4. Start a blog – I’m obviously biased, but if you have a lot of free time this summer you should consider starting one! You can spend as little or as much time as you want on it, and potentially make some side money too!
Related: How To Start A Blog
5. Find your perfect skincare routine – since you don’t have to worry about going to school every day, summer is the perfect time to test out new skincare products and figure out what works best for you! I just ordered a few Murad products, which I’ll probably post a review for at the end of the summer if you’re interested in the results! I’ve also been loving this clay mask and basically anything from The Body Shop’s tea tree oil line.
Related: Affordable Natural Beauty Products
6. Treat yo self – everyone’s done something worthy of treating yourself for, so do it! For me that means buying a new face mask, or trying out some smoothie recipes on Pinterest. Soaking in a tub with a bath bomb doesn’t hurt either!
7. Have a consistent workout routine – I’m the worst at sticking to workout schedules, but I have zero excuse to avoid exercising this summer, so I’ve been running most days and doing yoga on a regular basis. Find a workout you actually enjoy (you don’t have to run if it’s not your thing!) and stick to it!
8. Get ahead on searching for internships/research/work – for me, career fair season starts as soon as the fall semester begins, so I’m already starting to research which companies I want to talk to. A lot of companies won’t have their listings up till the end of the summer though, so don’t freak out if you can’t find much!
9. Start a side project – if you’re not interning or working this summer, come up with a side project to put on your resume! It could be a website, a photography album, an illustration book, or even a blog!
10. Watch some TED Talks or Netflix documentaries – for those days when nothing will get you out of bed, learn something new by watching some interesting documentaries! You should also check out YouTube channels like Vox and vlogbrothers, I could spend hours watching their videos.
What are your plans for the summer? Let me know in the comments!